The error “Your computer’s Trusted platform module has Malfunctioned” appears while activating Microsoft 365 apps is primarily due to corrupted Trusted Platform Module (TPM) credentials. To fix this error it require clearing the Trusted platform Module and re-activating it with new credentials.
What is Trusted Platform Module (TPM)?
TPM is a security processor for providing additional encryption for your device. It is used for securely create and store cryptographic keys of your device.
Steps to fix Trusted Platform Malfunctioning Error
Note : Resolution for this error “Your Computer’s Trusted Platform Module has Malfunctioned” can only be performed by Microsoft 365 admin.
Make Trusted Platform Module Status Active
If TPM is not in active status, you need to make it activate before installing Microsoft 365 apps.
- Press Windows + R Keys to open Run dialog
- Type tpm.msc and press enter key.
- If status show that “TPM is Ready to use” it means TPM is in Activate state.
- If Message is showing “Compatible TPM can not be found” Click on Activate Tab
- Press Activate TPM.
Clear Trusted Platform Module (TPM) ( Windows 10 and Windows 11)
- Click on Setting > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Device Security.
- After that a new window will open , Click On Security Processor details link > Security processor troubleshooting link.
- Lastly Click on “Clear TPM” button.
- Now Restart your Computer
Clear Trusted Platform Module (TPM)( Other windows)
- Press Key Windows +R
- Type tpm.msc and Press Enter
- After that check at Right side of the window and click option “Clear TPM“
- Lastly Restart your computer.
As you clear TPM after that it is required to Prepare TPM.
Prepare your Trusted Platform Module
- Press Key Windows+R
- Type tpm.msc and Press enter
- After that check at Right side of the window click and option “Prepare TPM”
- Lastly Restart your computer
Now try to activate Microsoft 365 app, if this error still not resolved using above all steps then Remove Office Credentials or Create a new window User account or if this is not resolved contact Microsoft support with error code 80090016 and tell them that you are getting error “Your computer’s Trusted platform module has Malfunctioned“.