To remove jammed paper from a Canon printer, first, turn off the printer and unplug the printer.
Before you begin:-
- Outgoing fax transmissions and faxes stored in the printer’s memory will be lost if the printer is turned off.
- Make sure all faxes are sent or received before you press the Power button to turn off the printer.
- If you unplug the power cord, all the faxes stored in the machine’s memory are deleted.
- Press the Stop button to cancel print jobs before you turn off the machine to remove a paper jam.
Method 1: Remove Jammed Paper From a Canon PrinterPaper is jammed in the paper output slot.
If your paper slots are jammed, follow the steps below.
- Hold the paper with your hands, then slowly pull the paper out so as not to tear it.
Do not take out the jammed paper from the front tray, if you forcibly take the paper out from the front tray, it may damage the machine.
- If you can’t pull the paper out, turn the machine off and turn it back on.
- If you can’t pull the paper out from the paper output slot, try to pull the paper out from the transport unit.
- If the paper tears and you can’t remove the jammed paper from the paper output slot, remove the paper from inside the machine.
- Reload the paper, and press the OK button.
- If you turned off the machine, all print jobs in the queue are canceled.
- When you reload the paper, confirm that you have correctly loaded the right paper size.
- We recommend you use paper other than an A5-sized one to print documents with photos or graphics; otherwise, the printout may curl and cause paper exit jams.
Method 2: Paper is jammed inside the machine at the transport unit
- Turn the machine off, then unplug the power cord.
- Open the document tray, then open the document cover.
- Stand the machine with the right side facing down.
- Push the open lever to open the transport unit.
When you open the transport unit, support the machine with your hand so that it does not fall down.
- Pull out the jammed paper slowly.
- Close the transport unit and lay it back down in its original position.
- Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.
- Reload the paper.
Method 3: Remove Jammed Paper From a Canon Printer if Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine
If the jammed paper tears and you cannot remove the paper either from the paper output slot or from the transport unit, or if the jammed paper remains inside the machine, remove the paper following the procedure below.
- Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.
- Open the paper output cover.
- Make sure that the jammed paper is not under the FINE cartridge holder.
If the jammed paper is under the FINE cartridge holder, move the FINE cartridge holder to the right edge or the left edge whichever is easier to remove the paper. When you move the FINE cartridge holder, hold FINE cartridge holder and slide it slowly to the right edge or the left edge.
- Hold the jammed paper with your hands.
- Pull the paper slowly not to tear it, then pull the paper out.
- Make sure that all the jammed paper is removed.
If the paper is torn, a piece of paper may remain inside the machine. Check the following and remove the piece of paper if it remains.
- Does the piece of paper remain under the FINE cartridge holder?
- Does the little piece of paper remain inside the machine?
- Does the piece of paper remain on the right side or the left side space inside the machine?
- Close the paper output cover, then reload the paper.
If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, service is required.