Changing the ink on your printer is part of standard maintenance, and it’s also necessary to have the best-in-class printing capabilities. In order to produce correctly, every printer user must change their ink cartridge, including the Canon printer. If you have total knowledge of a Canon printer, you may also need to change your ink cartridge as a Canon printer user.
However, there are many individuals who are unaware of the procedure for replacing the ink in a Canon printer and if you’re one of them, you might be wondering how to change ink in a Canon printer.
Things Need to Consider Before Beginning
- There are several factors to consider before changing a Canon printer’s ink cartridge, and they are outlined below.
- Instead of using an old ink cartridge, use a new one since it could block the nozzles.
- If you remove the cartridge, replace it right away. Wipe out the ink cartridge with a clean white cloth.
- Never leave the new ink cartridge outside once you’ve taken it out of its box.
- Don’t leave the new ink cartridge in the open for longer than suggested on the package.
Steps to Change Canon Printer Ink Cartridge
Make sure you have your replacement cartridges handy before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones.
Step 1: Turn on your Canon Printer
- Make sure that the printer power cord is properly plugged into a suitable power supply or an electrical outlet
- Press the power button to turn on the device.
Step 2: Open the Ink Cartridge Access Door
- Grab the handles on both sides of the printer and gently lift the lid upward to open it.
- The Carriage will move automatically toward the center of the printer in the proper cartridge replacement position.
- Wait for the Carriage to stop moving before you continue.
Step 3: Remove the Old or Empty Canon Ink Cartridge
If the ink cartridge has a protective cover, lift the cover to release its lock.
- Press down on the empty ink cartridge until it clicks and pops out.
- Pull the empty cartridge out from its slot and set it aside for disposal, recycling, or refilling.
- There are Canon printers that feature individual cartridges for each color. If you are using this kind of printer, follow the same steps for installing or replacing each color cartridge.
Step 4: Prepare the New Canon Ink Cartridge
- Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging.
- The new cartridge will either come with a blue top or black for the tri-color and black ink cartridge. (Unless you’re using individual color cartridges.)
- The tri-color ink cartridge has a blue top while the black ink cartridge has a blacktop.
- Take out the protective tab on the ink cartridge. It’s a plastic film that seals the area of the cartridge that dislodges ink.
- Please avoid touching the coppered-colored areas of the ink cartridges or ink nozzles. Doing so may result in ink clogging and other canon cartridge issues.
Step 5: Insert the New Canon Ink Cartridge
- Hold the new ink cartridge from its side with the Nozzles facing the Carriage.
- Slide the cartridge into the vacant slot.
- Lower the ink cartridge cover to lock the cartridge into place.
- Remember to put the Tri-color Canon ink cartridge on the left slot and the Black Canon ink cartridge on the right side.
- Repeat the same steps for every other color.
Step 6: Close the Ink Cartridge Door
- Lower the top lid until it clicks into place.
- The ink cartridges will automatically slide back into their original position after closing the door.
Step 7: Run a Test Print
In the same way, you did while changing cartridges, take a test print to determine whether the cartridges are working properly.
The quality of the print you get on your Canon printer mostly depends on whether the ink cartridge works properly and has enough ink. If the ink level is low, streaks might appear in your prints. Changing the ink is the only solution to restore the print quality. Now that you know how to change ink in a Canon printer, you can do it on your own in a few minutes.